Recommended course package:
See below for other package options
Coaching for Presence-Based® Leadership
This course is offered through the School of Continuing Studies at Georgetown University, Institute for Transformational Leadership
- Tuition only - meals and lodging are NOT included
- Tuition non-credit $1,795
- Total = $1,795
Coaching for Presence-Based® Leadership
This emerging Presence-Based Leadership Development® body of work gives us radical new perspectives and integrative practices for navigating this terrain. This work is a synthesis with deep roots in complexity work, leadership development, somatics, interpersonal neurobiology, and developmental psychology and coaching.
We all know, from our own visceral experience, that the world is complex and unpredictable. Many of us, and our clients, are in the midst of tremendous challenges. And yet, most of us are conditioned from an early age to believe that with enough training, skill, expertise, and hard work, we can figure things out, find reliable solutions for any challenge, have certainty.
The dissonance between our yearning for certainty and the reality of the world we are facing can provide a catalyst for significant developmental shifts. To benefit, we must first see our context for what it is– endlessly complex—and be willing to sense the dissonance between how we’ve been conditioned to see the world, and how it is actually showing up. And, we must develop the personal strategies and capacities to not only tolerate, but embrace, this dissonance so that we can lead in ways that are better adapted for a complex world.
In this training, which is based on Doug Silsbee’s latest book, Presence-Based Leadership, we explore how complexity challenges our very identity, how we naturally self organize to defend that identity, and how embodied reactive behaviors often make things worse (albeit with the best of intentions!) We work in the present moment with coaching interventions such as somatic practices and unconventional perspective shifts to build a self that can function with clarity and resilience in the midst of complexity and uncertainty.
We will work, in highly experiential ways, with a new model that offers pragmatic coaching and leadership strategies focused on:
- Distinguishing complex contexts from complicated and obvious contexts
- Sensing habitual reactions to complexity through emotions, body, language and meaning-making
- Resourcing the self by cultivating internal states of awareness and resilience
- Developing action learning strategies for engaging with complexity
- Working with multiple perspectives and integrative practices within the self and with clients
The three day program will offer a multi-layered and rich approach to learning that addresses multiple learning styles. Components of this integration include:
- Brief presentations of cognitive frameworks and distinctions that support new observation and perspectives
- Direct experiences of complexity in which participants witness their own reactions
- Individual and partner somatic practices built around state-shifting for resilience in complexity
- Large and small group conversations that evoke meaning-making
- Practice coaching conversations in which participants apply these methods with a partner dealing with real complexity
- Application and ongoing practices for participants to integrate this work into the complexity in their own lives, as well as into their coaching practice.
Timing: April 14, 15, & 16 – 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM each day.
Cost of Workshop: $1,795
CCEs: 21 hours of core competencies for ICF renewal
This practitioners’ workshop is for practicing coaches with a significant level of training and pragmatic experience under their belts. Pragmatism, application, and evidence-based practice provide the grounding for this leading edge synthesis. It is also crucial that participants are willing to engage in experimenting and practicing on themselves.
Faculty: This course will be taught by Bebe Hansen and Sarah Halley.
Graduates from the School of Continuing Studies at Georgetown University are eligible for a 10% alumni discount on select ITL courses, workshops, and seminars (certificate programs excluded). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about your eligibility.
Participants who register at least 21 days prior to the course start date will receive a 10% tuition discount. Please note that only one tuition discount can be applied at time of registration.