Presence-Based®Coaching Course of Study
Presence-Based Coaching® offers coach training and certification for all levels of experience. Each element of the program supports both personal and professional development.
Our rigorous training builds competency in a well-articulated Presence-Based Coaching® methodology. Our approach is grounded in an inclusive model of human development. This work is best suited for students deeply committed to:
- their own learning and development,
- an inquiry-centered leading edge approach to development,
- cultivating mindfulness and awareness in themselves and their clients, and
- placing themselves in service to the growth and development of effective and compassionate leaders.
This training is for discerning individuals who seek a top notch development experience with a small group in a face-to-face setting. The core is delivered in three and four day residential retreats at a beautiful retreat center near Asheville, NC. Additional reading, virtual coursework, self-observations, and feedback on recorded coaching sessions completes the coursework.
Designed for committed learners at any level of experience, we certify coaches who meet our rigorous standards. Our curriculum is accredited by the International Coach Federation for initial certification or renewal at any level.
All residential retreats are taught by Doug Silsbee with Bebe Hansen or Sarah Halley; the Mentor Coaching Course is taught by Bebe. This table outlines the coursework required in our certification program:
Part I of our core course is primarily based on The Mindful Coach. Learn to integrate your authentic presence into a practical coaching model. This retreat can be taken as a stand-alone.
Distinguishing somatic, emotional, and cognitive awareness
- Working with your own habits, attachments, and aversions as a coach
- Cultivating and holding mindful presence
- Distinguishing seven distinct coaching roles
- Framing artful questions to create awareness, define outcomes, and map action
- Working with metaphors and distinctions
- Designing body practices and self-observations
Building an integrated development plan.
Part II draws on material from Presence-Based Coaching® to invite coaching clients into presence and resilience. Work with somatic and language-based coaching methods. Completes the core model.
- Experiencing ways to create presence and resourcefulness in the moment
- Evoking the experience of presence with clients
- Integrating somatic and question-based coaching approaches to recognizing and shifting habits
- Increasing your own capacity for holding a field of presence with your clients
- Working with polarities in coaching competencies and in client content
Designing fieldwork and practices to support effectiveness and resilience
Delivered remotely. For PBC II students, graduates and above, this course provides rigorous practice and feedback around the PBC competency model.
- Practicing using full range of competency model tools
- Providing assessments and feedback on others’ coaching
- Building structures for self-observation during coaching
- Recognizing and working with habits that undermine your coaching
- Building confidence and presence as a coach
Ten hours. Five group calls spread over three months, plus individual work and feedback. PBC II is a pre-requisite.
The certification course is designed to provide solid experience in contracting for, designing, and delivering a coaching relationship that extends over time. Focus is on rigorous self-development as a coach, and as part of a community of learners.
- Assessing fit with a prospective client
- Developing competency-based coaching outcomes
- Developing fluidity across the entire competency model
- Addressing accountability, breakdowns and commitment issues
- Completing the coaching program
Contextualizing coaching in a life-long process of human development.